Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Much to write about, where to start...


Where do I start...there is just so many thoughts that have been going through my head. The past two weeks in Guatemala have caused me to question much of how I live and how the Lord calls each one of us to live. When confronted directly with poverty, many questions arise to why have I been extremely blessed with much when there are so many barely surviving each day? Why is there such a huge gap in living conditions between all peoples in this world? How can people who have been so greatly blessed turn their backs on ones who were born into horrible conditions? Oh how easy it is to stay ignorant and complacent, thinking everyone in the world is doing okay. And to think that if people aren't doing so well that you won't be able to help. This is so not true. It is going to take ALL of us to join in our own way to fight for the end of poverty.


For more reason than true reverence and respect for human life, each one of us is called to "freely give, just as you have freely received." (Matthew 10:8)

"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:13)

Anyways, these are some things that I have been pondering and wrestling with. Our team has safely made it back to Costa Rica. We are back working in the office in Atenas. I will write really soon about how the rest of my time in Guatemala was and post pictures. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Preach! Thanks for sharing Steph... so true. You are very loved and missed here, but it is very obvious that you are exactly where you are supposed to be.

Laura S said...

Interesting thoughts, and similar to some I've been thinking lately. Esp. the one of why we're (you and I, etc) are so blessed with all of these things and so many of us aren't satisfied and keep wanting more when there are people out there who barely have food or shelter. I don't know how to help though, how would I be useful, what can I do? I guess it's just easier to think that we can't do anything than trying to think of what exactly we can do. I'm not very creative with that...

Really great post. Thanks for writing and I'm glad you all made it back safely!